Monday, December 28, 2009

Rachel

Well surprisingly we haven't been out much over the Christmas holiday.
So I'm going to hit on a previous experience.

Rachel at Steak-n-Shake North. She's about as much fun as you can have in fast food.
My family tends to be slightly sarcastic, just about all of the time.. You'll need to keep this in mind to appreciate Rachel.

Scott and I went to S-n-S on our usual Friday "date" night. The hostess sat us down and we were continuing a conversation we had started in the car. A conversation about a 14 year old girl we had heard about, that had her hair dyed green or purple or something. Her nose was pierced, belly button and who knows what else. And as our waitress came to the table I said "she's a freak". The waitress smiled and said "no I'm Rachel". This set the tone for the rest of the night. She is young, so we described the afore mentioned 14 year old and Rachel said "she's a freak". Our service was great. Food came in a timely fashion. Drinks were never empty. Rachel even offered me a "takehomeasak-cup" for my diet coke.
There was one point where we didn't see Rachel, but we needed some ketchup or something. We decided we would call the S-n-S number and ask for her. When she answered we would say "hey did your shift end?". By the time we got the phone ready to dial, she appeared. I told her of my plan and she laughed and said "oh man, that would have been great".
So I guess the service was really just "okay". But the fact that Rachel felt us out to see what our personalities were, and adapted her service technique to that, made her excellent.
A couple weeks later we were back. I saw Rachel, but didn't ask for her. After we were seated she was at the table across the isle from us with a bus tub. The tub slipped while she was wiping the table. It didn't fall, but the dishes inside clanged. I said (so she could hear me) "Oh that would have been funny as hell".
She turned to look at me (I was smiling) and said "Hey, that was mean. But if I had dropped them, it would have been in your lap. I love when you guys come in. You're always in a good mood and that puts me in a good mood".
The thing is.. We're NOT always in a good mood. But teasing her and knowing that she enjoys it, puts us in a good mood. It makes us smile, to make her smile.
So next time you're at Steak-n-Shake North, ask for Rachel.

No comments: