Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Overboard and Over bored

First of all I need to say this. I love shoes. Quality isn't the issue, quantity is. I have more shoes than I know what to do with.
But my winter favorites are my lined Croc's. I have 2 pair and I live in them.

Because I was starting a new job that required business casual dress, and occasionally steel toed boots, the Croc must be reserved for weekends.
A perfect excuse to buy new shoes. And of course I need brown and black, so a perfect excuse to buy TWO new pairs of shoes. Sounded good.

Back to my point. I went to Payless (on Gilbert).
Now I haven't been told this, but I'm going to guess that Payless Corporate has a "no sit" policy for their employees.
When I pulled into the lot, I noticed I was the only car and very likely the only customer (I was right). I didn't get both of my Croc covered feet in the door before this girl says "What are we looking for today?" Hmmm.. I didn't know "WE" were looking for anything. But I politely said "I'm just browsing, thanks" and she said "okay, let me know what I can help you with". I really wanted to say "okay now hush". But I smiled and headed for the size 8's..
So I'm just standing in front of them scanning the selections.
I pull a black loafer looking shoe out of a box and inspect it. I hear on my right "you finding everything okay". I look, and she's poking her head around the end of the row.. "Yeah, thanks, I'm fine". I put the shoe on and look down at it. I hear on my left "Doing okay?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I swear Scotty from Star Trek beamed her instantly from one end of the aisle to the other in a half a second.
I wanted to say "look Genie, get back in your bottle, you're freaking me out".

Is there such thing as too much attention in a shoe store? Uh yes!!
But apparently she is so bored with tucking shoe laces into shoes, she is thrilled to have an actual human to play with. Me, not so much. They day hadn't gone as perfectly as I had anticipated and I was more than anything, shoe shopping while I waited on Andrew to call for a ride home from work. Bonding with the shoe lately was about the last thing I was in the mood for.

I really don't blame this woman one bit.. She really was friendly and wanted to help (even though I was annoyed).. But I'm almost positive Payless has the "no sit" policy I was talking about. And very likely they have surveillance cameras. And because there are no customers to watch, corporate doesn't have anything to do but watch the employees dance around this store trying to look busy. But you can only rearrange shoes for so long.

So Dear Payless Corporate,
Please buy you employees a computer so that they can play solitaire or surf the net, and ignore me..

And Dear Payless Employees,
In the mean time buy a netbook or one of those fancy phones with internet, or even a book. Stash whichever one of those you buy in a shoe box and aim it away from the surveillance camera. You can read, Facebook, blog.. Whatever.. Just carry the box around with you. Or even put it on the shelf and stand in front of it.
Whatever it takes to keep you from shimmering in when I'm not expecting you.

I would like to reiterate. I don't think this is employee driven. Corporate has to be controlling this. And I understand the business side. If they give their employees an inch, they'll take a mile.
But isn't there a happy medium style solution?

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm sorry, but I have to say it. Crocs. . . . really. . . ????

ugh

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerri said...

Sorry Dixon. Those pointy six inch things you wear, don't go well with bunions.

Amy said...

They're only 4 inches. :-)