Thursday, December 10, 2009

Phillips 66 - North Vermilion.

One of my favorite gas stations in town.
I call it the Curry gas station because it smells like curry as soon as you walk in.
I hate to label and say they're Indians (not the "how" kind that ate dinner with the pilgrims), but I believe they're Indians. Why does this matter?? It doesn't, except they are obviously of a different culture than my own. And yet every time I go in, they make it a point to acknowledge MY culture. The week before Thanksgiving they told me to have a great Thanksgiving, every time I went in. Now they're asking me if I'm ready for Christmas. I love this about them. This makes me want to learn about their culture, so I can do the same.

They know their "regulars" and make it a point to personalize the conversation.
They are all quick with a smile. And they love to tease. Scott broke his foot working on the Extreme Makeover home in Philo. So he had to go in on crutches a couple times. He told the guys at the gas station I kicked him. They teased us for weeks about this.

I have been known to drive out of my way to get my 32 ounces of diet coke there.
Tonight I stopped in before my Life Skills class. The guy in front of me didn't have enough money for his cigarillos. He said to the man working "you know I'm good for it, I'll pay you back". And the man agreed, handed him his cigarillos, and off he went.

No they don't have everything the newer, bigger gas stations have. And no, I don't recommend buying any dated food there (the yogurt and milk are always out of date).
But if it's customer service you're looking for, Stop in to Phillips 66.

No comments: