Friday, December 11, 2009

Waitstaff pet peeves

I am fully aware the not all customers are as great as me. Some customers are down right rude. But that's not what this blog is about.

There are things that waitstaff do that just drive me crazy.
1) calling me by a pet name like honey or babe and the worst one I've been called is sweetie. Pet names are for loved ones. I don't know about any of you, but I am not in love with any of my waitresses. You can call me ma'am or miss or ask me my name and call me that. But don't call me sweetie.
2) Asking me if I need more to drink. If my glass is more than half empty, yes I want some more to drink. Don't ask me, just bring it.
3) Not clearing empty dishes. Don't come ask me if I need anything and walk away empty handed when there are empty dishes on my table (O'Learys is horrible about this). Do they think I'm going to leave faster if I have to look at a half eaten tenderloin?
4) Not letting me know if there is a delay in my food. I get that places get busy and service may be slow. Just let me know, I get it. Don't leave me hanging.
5) Bringing my bill while I'm still chewing. This will likely prevent me from ordering dessert because they've already given me my total.
6) Not checking on me enough.
7) Checking on me too much.
8) Telling my table of two, that they're "sorry they didn't bring my drink sooner, but there is a large party that's keeping them busy". So the large party is more important than me??? Nice.
9) A waitress that says "I'm going on break, I'll come check on you when I get back". Uh hello??? unacceptable.
10) Complaining about her feet hurting or being tired or any other thing that idicates they don't like their job.
11) THE WORST OF ALL.. Picking up my money and saying "Did you need change back". Hell yeah I need change back.. Don't assume I'm going to tip you..

I actually wrote on the back of a receipt once "i'm sorry you hate your job".

What are your pet peeves???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at #1 - don't come south and go to a Waffle House! I think part of the job interview is how many doll, babe, honey and sweeties they can say in one sentence.

bettiesue

Kerri said...

BS. I don't think I would mind it as much in Georgia only because I know that's the culture down there.

Up here, it's just not. And they seem to think if they call me a pet name their tip will get bigger. They're wrong.

Amy said...

Dana bases his tip in part on his drink being full. So I'd say he would agree with #2.

Kerri said...

It's a no-brainer way to improve your tip. A good waitress can tell by how fast the first drink goes down, whether or not they need to keep tabs on it.